Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Florida's safety net is shredding

Florida's safety net for people in need is shredding in the face of escalating demand and dwindling resources, says the head of the state's United Way network.

And Florida's safety net is almong the nation's weakest.

Ted Granger, president of United Way of Florida, says social service agencies statewide are seeing more and more people who are homeless and hungry. The 211 referral hotlines are seeing increases of 50% to 150% over the last twelve months in people needing basic services, such as assistance with rent and food.

"We're struggling as United Ways across the state," Granger says. "We're probably going to raise less money this year than we did last year at a time when the need is skyrocketing. So it's very difficult, particularly when you're sitting at an agency and you're receiving calls for help and there's nothing you can do."

Granger says the coming year will likely be worse for social services, as Florida's foreclosures are expected to increase and its unemployment numbers to remain high.

Read the WFSU report here. There's an audio clip, too.

4 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks after sharing. Like at all times, on the in money and right-minded on quarry!

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Having the same problem everywhere. A large part of the problem are the people who abuse the system.

http://www.nwinjurylawcenter.com

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Dowd,
I am without a net......
I'm sorry to contact you this way, but I am running out of options with my job and every week that I volunteer with Food not Bombs and other outreach groups, I realize I am a step behind them. I do not qualify for most programs, but after losing my home 1 1/2 years ago, I have been staying with friends and am without funds to survive on my own. I have tried to seek help, but without sufficient funds, I am unable to secure an attorney to look over paperwork to determine how I should answer my employer. If you are able to help, please let me know. kmcarthur7@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home