Tuesday, October 31, 2006

the 13th juror has jury duty today!

Yep, lawyers have to serve, too. Except that you almost never actually get picked for a jury. I know I wouldn't want a lawyer on the jury in any case I'm trying.

In the jury pool, I usually last only until the judge asks if anyone knows any of the lawyers involved in the case. But that doesn't mean you get to go home; you are sent to another jury pool.

So I'm settling in for a long day.

Update: I didn't get picked for a jury, but I left the courthouse feelin' good.
I did get questioned for one jury, and the defense lawyer recognized me from TV news. Some of the courtroom deputies (bailiffs, to most of you) teased me. A couple of city cops waiting to testify joked around with me. And I had some interesting conversations with other jurors.

And for this, they paid* me $15!
---------------
* Lots of states pay even less. But New Mexico pays $5.15 per hour, as established by its minimum-wage law. Check out the pay rates here.

1 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger GB Hoyt said...

Was this some sort of "Halloween Joke"? J/K I hope Jury duty went or is going well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home