Saturday, February 17, 2007

A city learns its lesson

The City of Fresno has taken a new approach to cleaning up after homeless people after losing a federal lawsuit.

City crews cleared trash and other waste from a homeless encampment in downtown Fresno, as the homeless helped.

Back in November, a federal judge ruled the City of Fresno violated the rights of the homeless when they destroyed their belongings. This time, they left the areas where the homeless live alone.

"We've let them know if you put it out here on the street we'll pick it up," said a city spokesman. "Nobody should have to live in this kind of squalor. So we're doing what we can. We realize this is a place they call their residence."

Watch the KFSN news report here. Watch a video of the city spokesman explaining the new clean-up policy here.

3 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Vox Populi said...

I hope someone in St Pete reads this !!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Dowd said...

I hope Orlando is paying attention, too.

Some folks say they disagree with litigation as a tactic for change, but the lesson here seems to be that you have to drag the cities into court to get a response.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may not be a popular post, but I own property in Wesley Chapel, Florida. And the homeless act as if it were their property. I was checking out my fences and a guy yells out "hey you should'nt be back here". I said get the fuck off my property asshole. It is you whom should not be here. We got into an arguement and if I had'nt been on horseback and able to escape I think he would have killed me.
Anyway they have fires that threaten our farm. Litter the place up and also I think they stole a couple of our calves and ate them.Because if a coyote got them I would see some sign. instead nothing just missing calves.
And this is why bums are not allowed on our property.
If they want respect then they need to earn it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home