Monday, July 30, 2007

I hope it's not somebody I know

A body was found this morning on the I-4 embankment in downtown Orlando and I'm wondering if it's somebody I know.

"All we can say is that it was the body of woman. Also, she was not struck by a car," said a police spokesman. "We do not have her age or name right now."

So this morning I'm worrying about Frances and Tina and Samantha and all the other women I know who live on the streets of O-town.

The Orlando Sentinel has a little info, but not much yet.

Update: I didn't know her well (and, thank God, I didn't have to go identify the body), but Venus Martinez was part of the Sylvia Lane community. She was one of the folks who lived under an overpass in downtown Orlando until they were forced to move.

The police are saying only that she was murdered, but the word on the street is that she was raped and strangled.

She was 29.

A lot of people don't -- or won't -- believe it, but homeless people are much more likely to be victims of crime than perpetrators.

2 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Vox Populi said...

she's so pretty !! That's SO SICK !!!!!
I'm so sorry.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This young lady's face seems very familiar to me. I try to remember every name and face I see at the shelter and pray that I never have to see them in the news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home