Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Changing lives, one job at a time (we hope)

Daytona Beach will try a program that gives the city cleaner and safer streets while helping homeless people get back on their feet.

The Downtown Streets Team was developed in Palo Alto, California, where the program's success stories include 40 graduates who are now employed and 29 who have found housing.

The participants work for food and shelter while learning job skills. To get into the program, people have to demonstrate a desire to transition to stable employment and then attend weekly "success team meetings" until a spot opens up.

Daytona Beach paid $2,500 for a step-by-step kit to help set up the program in 90 days. The money came from Commissioner Rick Shiver's discretionary fund, the city's general fund and some donations.

Read more in the San Jose Mercury-News here.

3 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there

I'm doing a project for my under grad graphic design senior thesis at and I'm looking for recent statistics (preferably 2006-2007 to the present) on homelessness in St Petersburg, Florida. Or any statistics or info in Florida would be helpful, also.

I'm finding a lot of great sources on your blog, and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some more recent statistics. I would really appreciate it!

You can email me at: Juliakmullins@aol.com

Thanks!

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Great infomation. Thanks for the links.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Redbox.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Oceans 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home