Monday, July 27, 2009

Another convert to Housing First

The number of homeless families housed in motels across Massachusetts is at a peak. This unfortunate statistic has prompted the state to admit that the approach it has used over the years to address homelessness has not solved the problem.

Massachusetts has shifted its approach on homelessness from a sheltering model to a "housing first" model. The state has overhauled its existing emergency shelter system and reorganized the state agencies that provide homelessness services.

Read more (by Lt. Gov. Timothy Murphy) here.


At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if someone could answer a question for me.

I live in Florida and have recently ended a lease. My former landlord has chosen to keep my security deposit and also, is attempting to bill me $700 over my deposit. I have officially objected (within 15 days via certified mail) as stated in the law.

What happens next? Does he have an official time period to respond back?


At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Dowd said...

It's been so long that you've probably stopped looking for an answer, but here it is anyway:

You may have to go to small claims court to seek the return of your security deposit.

Look carefully at the items for which your landlord is billing. Are the charges something that was agreed to in the lease? (Like a "redecorating fee" or some such nonsense.)

Did you take pictures of the apartment before you left? Did the landlord or property manager do a walk-through? Do you have a friend, maybe someone who helped you move, who could be a witness as to the condition of the apartment?

Small claims court can be done without a lawyer. But you'll have to pay a filing fee, unless you can establish that you're indigent. If you win, the landlord will have to pay the filing fee as well as return your deposit.


Post a Comment

<< Home