Thursday, October 15, 2009

"Criminalizing panhandling does nothing
to address the state of homelessness"

Alan Graham, President/CEO of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, has a great response to Austin's plan to expand its ban on panhandling:
Panhandling is a symptom of homelessness. Criminalizing panhandling does nothing to address the state of homelessness. Study after study supports that. The answer to homelessness is long-term, affordable, sustainable housing.
Read his entire statement here. And see previous post (about the newspaper editorial he's answering) here.

Are you listening, Sanford? Are you listening, DeLand?

Check out Alan's blog here and his tweets here.


At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Tallahassee, and I know of a homeless person who is trying to get a photo ID without any personal identification. Are there any organizations similar to IDignity up here, or do you have any other useful info?

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Dowd said...

I don't know of anything like IDignity in the Tallahassee area, but I can explain what a person needs to get a Florida ID.

1. Birth certificate. Depending on where the person was born, this is can be easy or difficult. Do you know where?

2. A document with the Social Security number on it, like a pay stub.

3. Proof of residence. A letter from a shelter or housing program will work. For a person living on the streets or in the woods, this is (obviously) harder.

If you can provide more info, I can respond with more detail about possible options that make work to fulfill these requirements.

At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He can get another birth certificate. The main issue is the document with the social security number on it. He does not have any pay stubs or anything like that. However, I have read that the SSA office will accept a doctor's note written on doctor's letterhead confirming his identity will be accepted, is this true?

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. So true. Thanks for the heads up on Sanford and Volusia. Is Michael Arth involved in that?

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Jacqueline Dowd said...

To Anonymous: Our Social Security office in Orlando probably would not accept such a letter. Rules are different in different offices, though.

Is your guy a veteran? A DD-214 (discharge papers) will work.

You could order what's called a Numident report from Social Security. Costs $16 but establishes SSN. Mail a letter to the address below. Have him sign the letter or include a records release.

Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Greene Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022

Mark both the envelope and its contents: “INFORMATION REQUEST.”

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Dowd said...

Nancy: I'm not aware of any involvement by Michael Arth in the debate over this proposed ordinance.

I do know he believes that criminalizing homelessness is not a real solution.

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Shawn said...

I found a great deal of helpful information above!
buy provigil | buy provigil | Periactin


Post a Comment

<< Home